Monday, June 18, 2007

Thomas Carlyle

When I read that Thomas Carlyle was idolized by Tennyson and Dickens, I was already impressed. I view both Tennyson and Dickens to be excellent writers. When I read what George Eliot said, it made me even more interested in Carlyle's writings. Eliot said that if Carlyle's writings were all burnt, "it would be only like cutting down an oak after its acorns have sown a forest," (475).

In his work, "Past and Present," he spoke of the condition of England. He believed England to be "full of wealth," but "dying of inanition," (477). Carlyle also writes about the population has grown in this popular city, to "some two millions, it is not counted," (477). He compares England to Scotland and writes, "So many hundred thousands sit in workhouses: and other hundred thousands have not yet got even workhouses; and in thrifty Scotland itself, in Glasgow or Edinburgh City, in their dark landes, hidden from all but the eye of God, and of rare Benevolence the minister of God, there are scenes of woe and destitution and desolation, such as, one may hope, the Sun never saw before in the most barbarous regions where men dwelt," (478). It seems that Carlyle believes the attention to be on England, and everyone, except God, has forgotten about the cities like Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Carlyle looks at the past and the future, and he questions what is to come. He writes, "To whom, then, is this wealth of England wealth? Who is it that it blesses; makes happier, wiser, beautifuler, in any way better?... As of yet, no one," (480). He is not viewing the future in a favorable light. He is idealizing the past, and he only sees problems with the future. He is not optimistic, but mad about the way things are changing.

One last interesting part of this passage I would like to point out is the last paragraph on page 480. He uses the tale of Midas to explain what he thinks. Midas wanted gold, and insulted the gods. He got his wish, but also got a pair of long ears. Carlyle writes, "What a truth in these old Fables!" (480).

More Personal Thoughts:
I visited Scotland last fall and was amazed at the natural beauty of Edinburgh. Carlyle went to school at the University of Edinburgh, which is one of the most inspiring places I have ever had the opportunity to visit. It is no wonder to me that he was a phenomenal writers, because I found myself better able to write in this remarkable city. Also, the author of Harry Potter wrote her famous stories while seated in the Elephant Cafe, which overlooks the Edinburgh Castle. I realize their writings styles were completely different, but it is interesting that such great writers both lived for a period in the beautiful city of Edinburgh.

3 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Caitlin,

Very good commentary on Carlyle. You select approapriate passages to quote and discuss. I also like the way you connect his life and works to your own experiences in Edinburgh.

Billy Bishop said...

I love the quote you put in your reflection be Elliot. I have a deep, deep respect for Elliot and so I must also respect anyone whom Elliot admired enough to say such wonderful things about. You know, Elliot must have really believed Carlyle had a profound impact on Literature, and it has always been my sincerest hope to have such an impact on the world (not necessarily literature, but the world overall). I hope that when I die people do not necessarily remember me but see daily some contribution I made, much like an oak tree's acorns.

LaDonna said...

you did very well with carlyle. i didnt care for his work too much so it was hard for me to read, but i got a lot from what you posted